Rural Watch - Media expert with local experience
In order to develop Albanian rural areas in a sustainable way the opinion of local people should be heard and their interests and rights taken into consideration. With the increasing pressure and intensity of economic development in these areas (e.g. mining, hydropower plants) more than ever there is a need of a strong civil society on the ground which is able to keep competent public authorities and businesses accountable to environmental, health and safety standards and regulations.
The project aims to address some of the most pressing issues of the rural development in Albania related to the quality of life and keeping the standards for clean and safe environment. Overall objectives include:
- Improved environmental performances of energy and extractive industries in Albanian rural areas;
- Increased transparency and accountability of public authorities and businesses related to extractive and energy industry (EEI) in rural areas
- Rural communities (women and men) more informed and empowered to monitor and control energy and extractive industry in rural areas
The specific objective: Strengthened civil society role in promoting monitoring standards and ensure the sustainable use of the natural resources from extractive and energy industry in rural areas.
The project implementation will last 24 months: April 2018 – March 2020. The action builds up on the good practices in rural development showcased by the Bulgarian experience for transparency and accountability of extractive and energy industry (EEI) in raising public awareness, access to information and justice, and public engagement through innovative media channels.
Project expects 4 main outputs:
- A capacity building package delivered to CSO`s and media representatives on their watchdog role for enforcing monitoring standards, promoting transparency and accountability of public authorities and businesses related to sustainable use of the natural resources in extractive and energy industry sectors.
- An information campaign for the public aiming to increase awareness on issues related to application of monitoring sustainable standards in extractive and energy industry sectors.
- Monitoring actions of the 5 targeted extractive and energy industry business in Albania made through CSO and media monitoring contributions.
- Legal services provided to interest groups affected by misuse of natural resources in extractive and energy industry (EEI).
5 extractive and energy industry (EEI) hotspots in Albania to be selected during the desk top stage of analyses.
Description of the assignment
The expert shall be hired to:
- Assist the CSOs in the Rural Watch Monitoring process with articles to support CSOs community involvement and participation
- Contribute with articles to the “Rural Watch on line Platform” and “Rural Watch Media and Communication Outreach”.
- Attend and contribute to the “Rural Watch Expert Group” meeting and discussions.
- Attending and contributing to the local public meetings and two public events.
Required Skills, Competencies and Experience
The expertise shall be delivered from an expert with excellent knowledge and understanding of the status and trends in the Environmental for the development of CSOs and the civil society for better monitoring and control of the industry in Europe and in Albania. In addition, he/she could possess knowledge and understanding of the status and trends of the environmental CSOs.
Key skills and competencies:
- Journalism and mass media expert skills;
- Understanding of Local Development issues, Environmental problems and human impact in Albania;
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective communication with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender balance;
- Good knowledge and profound understanding of the status and trends in the environmental understanding and development of civil society for better monitoring and control of the industry in Albania. Authored reports and publications on the subject is an asset.
- A pro-active approach to problem-solving;
- Degree in Journalism or related mas media field;
- Previous experience in capacity raising related to civil society development;
- Work experience in the EU-funded projects;
- Fluency in English language (written and spoken).
Execution of the service
Assignment is foreseen for a maximum of 13 WDs over a period of 18 months September 2018 – April 2020.
Expressions of Interest to be submitted at the address: firstname.lastname@example.org or handed in at the office address: ECO Partners for Sustainable Development, Rruga Ismail Qemali, P 18, Ap 25/B, Tirane, Albania